Adapted from a recipe at About.com
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 16 minutes
Total Time: 26 minutes
- 3 cups freshly ground oatmeal (rolled oats)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup sugar free applesauce
- 3 lightly beaten large eggs
- 4 tablespoons light olive oil OR canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups shredded apple (about one large apple - do not peel the apple)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Preheat oven to 350°
- Use a stick blender to pulverize oatmeal to a flour-like consistency
- Place oat flour, baking powder, baking soda, brown sugar and cinnamon in a mixing bowl. Whisk to blend.
- Lightly beat eggs in a small bowl. Add yogurt, apple juice, oil and vanilla. Whisk to blend and pour into bowl with dry ingredients. Stir to thoroughly blend.
- Fold in shredded apple and walnuts. Stir just until blended.
- Line muffin pan with paper liners, or lightly grease pan and fill each muffin cup about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 16 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of muffin comes out clean.
- Sprinkle hot muffins with cinnamon sugar mixture and allow muffins to cool for about 10-15 minutes before serving.